Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Calling All Texans!

Brandon and I will be back in Texas in just a few weeks. We are excited to begin this next chapter in our lives. We have met some wonderful people during our time here. I recently received an email from a friend that Brandon and I met when we first moved to St. Kitts. Her friend, Hollis, is fighting Leukemia and is in need of white blood cells. He was transferred to Houston, Texas from Colorado for treatment. He doesn't know many people in the Texas area, and he could really use your help. Please send this to anyone that you know of that could help out. We would all really appreciate it! 


Here is the information that she sent me: 


Need some Houston, TX donors for White Blood Cells!

by Hollis Hudetz on Monday, July 11, 2011 at 6:47pm
Hammin' it up since initial diagnosis.My name is Hollis, I'm a 30-year old USMC Veteran, IT Engineer, Lymphoma survivor, and I'm dealing with Leukemia right now. My doctors want me to get White Blood Cell transfusions (which are pretty rare) to try and fight off some infections since I don't have an immune system to do that myself. Basically I'm at a point where I need more than just antibiotics. The only issue is, the donators must be local to Houston, TX and I'm from Colorado with no one I know being out here. Therefore, it is up to me to find donors. Ideally, I need a WBC transfusion every day for 3-4 weeks, so the more donors the merrier!  =)

Donating is a 3-step procedure that takes a few days for qualified participants, it is arranged "By Appointment Only," and if you can help more than once over the next couple weeks I would really appreciate it!

Need help to deal with these bad boys...
Step 1:
1) Potential donors cannot have taken Aspirin 48 hrs prior to the appointment.
2) By appointment only: Call 713-792-7777 to schedule an appointment for a "Platelet-Prescreen."
   Location 1: Blood Donor Center - Holly Hall - 2555 Holly Hall, just East of Almeda.
   Location 2: Blood Donor Center - Mays Clinic (ACB) - 1220 Holcombe, Entrance 5, Floor 2, Elevator S.
3) Questionnaire filled out and a donation of (1) unit of platelets is taken, plus one additional tube for testing for WBC eligibility (2-4 hours).

Step 2:
1) The day prior to donation, qualified donors must perform a brief re-screen and be tested for West Nile Virus. This is performed only at Holly Hall from 1pm - 4pm daily.
2) Pre-medications for the donation will be ordered for donors after TMP consultation - corticosteroids (oral tablet) and Neupogen (a self administered shot at 8 pm the night before) need to be taken to increase the donor's white cell count. Donors will be instructed on how to administer the shot (it's not bad, you can do it in the back of your upper arm or your stomach- it can sting/burn a little).

Step 3:
1) WBC/Granulocyte Donation will take approximately 2.5 to 3 hrs, and are performed only at the Holly Hall location.
2) Donations are performed at 8 am, 7 days a week.
Graduation this year with my mom.NOTES:
- Blood type does not matter.
- Qualified women (not pregnant or nursing) can donate every other day up to 4 times ("one cycle").
- Qualified men can donate every other day up to 5 times ("one cycle").
- Both men and women should wait 2-4 weeks before starting another "cycle."
- Granulocytes/White Blood Cells are collected with a special machine using a process called apheresis (pronounced ay-fur-ee-sis). On the day of donation, blood is removed by a sterile procedure from one arm, cycled through the instrument that collects only the granulocytes, and then returned to you through your other arm.

Thank you so much again. Don't hesitate to e-mail me with any other questions you have. My mother Elizabeth or I will get back to you as soon as possible!

Very Respectfully,
Hollis Hudetz
hollis.hudetz@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment